You Don’t Need a Home to Vote!
An essential aspect of the National HCH Council’s mission is empowerment. Persons experiencing homelessness have been disempowered in many ways, including at the ballot box. It is consistent with our roles as service providers and advocates to encourage and facilitate voter registration, education, and engagement. It is entirely legal and in fact encouraged in law for nonprofits to register historically disenfranchised groups.
September 25, 2018, is National Voter Registration Day. Be sure to organize voter registration and education events within your organization!
Voter Registration Resources:
- Voter Registration Tool Kit for Community Health Centers
- State by State Voting Information
- Enfranchising Homeless Clients: Voter Registration Guide from the National HCH Council
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council Voter Registration Webinar: You Don’t Need a Home to Vote!
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council Voter Registration and Engagement Slides
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council Voting Rights Slides
The work doesn’t stop with voter registration – nonprofits are also able and encouraged to participate in “Get Out the Vote” Campaigns that help provide information about voting on election day and assisting in getting people to the polls.
- HRSA PAL 2000-18 re: health center voter registration
- National Coalition for the Homeless: 2012 Voter Registration Manual
- Additional resources on voter information by state