Module 1: Course Introduction
This course is offered for informational purposes only. Upon completion you can save a certificate of completion for your records.
After participating in this training activity, participants should be able to:
- Define MI and its relevance in the homeless health care setting for promoting patient change
- Describe techniques necessary for effective MI encounters
- Practice MI techniques in simulated HCH setting
- Plan personal use/incorporation of MI techniques in actual HCH setting
- List current questions regarding use of MI techniques in actual HCH setting(s)
- Rate self knowledge of MI techniques and their use in HCH settings.
Module 2: MI Basics
In this module, you will be introduced to the basics of Motivational Interviewing, its common terms and methods, and how it can be utilized in the HCH setting.
Module 3: MI in the HCH Setting
In this module, you will observe an example of MI techniques used in an HCH setting, and get to practice these techniques in a simulation.
3.1: An MI approach to Conversations
This presentation offers an example of Motivational Interviewing techniques in action.
Play MI Video
3.2: Practicing MI Skills
This interactive presentation allows you to choose responses that most accurately reflect a Motivational Interviewing approach.
Play Client Simulation