Partner with Us as a Subject Matter Expert

The National Health Care for the Homeless Council contracts with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) who serve as consultants on issues integral to Health Care for the Homeless on an as-needed basis. We work with SMEs to address technical assistance (TA) requests through our National Cooperative Agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration. Therefore, our TA targets Health Care for the Homeless health centers and medical respite providers, though we respond to all who seek our help. SME services range from brief conference calls to onsite trainings.

If you are dedicated to the mission and values of the National HCH Council and want to offer your expertise and experience to strengthen the field, please keep reading.

Application Process

If you agree to the fee schedule and believe your expertise aligns with our needs, please fill out the form that follows. After submitting the form, please email your résumé or CV (if available) along with one letter of recommendation to Michael Durham at This letter should be composed by an individual who is familiar with your HCH expertise and training or consulting experience. If possible, we encourage you to supply a letter of support from someone who is already involved with the National HCH Council (e.g. Council staff, existing SMEs, current or former Board Members, etc.). Note that we strongly favor applicants with some existing relationship with the Council’s staff or membership community.

If Council staff approve your preliminary application, we will schedule a brief phone interview. If you advance through this stage, you will enter a trial period until you have been favorably evaluated following your first engagement as a SME.

If you have any questions about the process, please contact Technical Assistance Manager Michael Durham.

Fee Schedule

For the various methods of TA responses, the Council employs the following fee structure to compensate SMEs.

  • Full-day: $650
  • Hourly (up to four hours): $90

In addition to this compensation, the Council covers the travel, lodging, and meal expenses incurred during site visits (according to Federal Per Diem rates). Note that SMEs often choose to provide their services as an in-kind donation to the Council, for which we can supply the appropriate documentation for your taxes.

Common TA Request Topics

  • Medical Respite Care Start-ups
  • Trauma-Informed Care & Systems
  • Consumer Advisory Boards
  • Patient Engagement
  • Definitions of Homelessness & Eligibility for Services
  • Housing and Hospital Partnerships
  • Medication-Assisted Treatment & Opioid Abuse
  • Outreach & Enabling Services
  • Cultural Competency/Humility
  • Patient-Centered Medical Home
  • Community Health Workers
  • Social Determinants of Health & Causes of Homelessness
  • HRSA Program Compliance
  • Services in Permanent Supportive Housing
  • Harm Reduction & Housing First
  • Storytelling & Advocacy

Apply Now