John N. Lozier Scholarship for New Members
Launched in 2017, the John N. Lozier Scholarship for New Members is an award honoring the legacy of the National Health Care for the Homeless Council’s founding Executive Director, who retired in December 2016. The scholarship supports the registration fee, lodging, and related costs up to $1,000 for one individual to attend the annual National HCH Conference & Policy Symposium (i.e. $1,000 minus the cost of all registration fees will be reimbursed to your agency with proper documentation).
In addition to honoring Mr. Lozier, the purpose of this scholarship is to inspire health care professionals to sustain the HCH movement initiated by Mr. Lozier and other pioneers in the 1980s.
All applications must be received by February 28, 2019.
Eligible applicants must meet two criteria:
- You are employed by an Organizational Member of the National Health Care for the Homeless Council, and
- you have never attended any previous national conference hosted by the National HCH Council.
While there are no age restrictions, strong applicants will be early-to-mid-career professionals with relatively little experience in Health Care for the Homeless. The review committee may also give preference to applicants belonging to new Organizational Members of the Council.
To apply, please: (1) fill out the online Individual Membership Application to make sure we have your personal contact information (even if you think we already have it), and (2) email the following materials to Rick Brown, Communications Manager, by midnight Pacific Time, February 28, 2019:
- CV or Résumé
- A 250-1,000-word essay that relates your day-to-day work to human rights principles and the dignity of people experiencing homelessness
- One letter of recommendation from your supervisor or co-worker describing your passion for the work
- Completed and signed Reimbursement Agreement Form.
A nominating subcommittee will be appointed by the Advancement Committee of the Board to review applications and submit a slate for the Committee’s review. Applicants will be notified of their application’s success at least six weeks prior to the 2019 National Conference.
The Council thanks Dr. Seth Ammerman, a longtime and committed “HCHer” based in San Francisco, for his generosity in providing the funding for this scholarship. To learn about investing in this scholarship to expand it to additional recipients, please contact Marita Rice. If you are interested in this scholarship, but your organization is not a member, join the Council for just $500. Contact Krista Myatt for more information.
- 2018: Dean Williams, Neighborcare Health
- 2017: Jennifer Bradford, MD, Homeless Outreach and Advocacy Program