National Consumer Advisory Board
What Is NCAB?
The National Consumer Advisory Board (NCAB) is made up of homeless and formerly homeless persons who have been clients of Health Care for the Homeless projects across the country and who are involved in the governance of those HCH projects. NCAB is a standing committee of the National Health Care for the Homeless Council, and NCAB’s elected Chairperson sits on the National Council’s Board of Directors.
We are also interested in learning more about your consumer advisory board’s expertise and needs so NCAB can help further develop guidance and technical assistance for those wishing to advance consumer involvement in governance and CAB development. Please direct any technical assistance requests to our TA Request Form.
To be the vehicle for consumers of Health Care for the Homeless projects to become a collaborative voice on national issues. We hold central the priority of assisting consumers in the development of bylaws and/or guidelines for local CABs and serving as a clearinghouse for information and assistance to consumers.
- Supporting local CABs
- NCAB leadership works to develop relationships with consumers on HCH boards and CABs, and facilitate communication between local sites and the national work.
- Consumer Participation Outreach Survey (CPO)
- This survey aims to engage people experiencing homelessness in an active discussion about issues important to them, gain insight into the concerns and needs of HCH clients, and gives consumes a platform to voice these concerns and share their experiences.
- Promoting national events
- Homeless Person’s Memorial Day
- Along with the National Coalition of the Homeless, NCAB and the National HCH Council help communities come together and show respect for those who have died while experiencing the tragedy of homelessness, while educating about the need to end these preventable deaths.
- HCH Day and National Health Center Week
- Each year consumers and staff at HCH projects celebrate the important work done at HCH projects in providing comprehensive and quality health care to people experiencing homelessness. These projects organize events that promote the services and programs at these projects, recognize the incredible work of the staff, and advocate for policies that can improve this quality of care and bring an end to homelessness.
- Homeless Person’s Memorial Day
- NCAB members share powerful stories that demonstrate the importance of housing and health care policy.
- Voter Registration
- NCAB works with the National HCH Council to promote voter registration at HCH projects in order to help people experiencing homelessness recognize their right to vote.
- Honoring Consumer Leaders through the Ellen Daily Award
- Ellen championed the unique voice of those experiencing homelessness to play a role in the decisions affecting their lives. The award that bears her name is meant to honor her memory and efforts advocating for people experiencing homelessness.
Homeless and formerly homeless persons who have received services from an HCH project are encouraged to become members of the National Consumer Advisory Board. NCAB members are Individual Members of the National Council, and NCAB’s elected Steering Committee is a Standing Committee of the National Council. No dues are required to be part of NCAB’s membership. To join NCAB, please apply online or print, fill out and mail the NCAB Brochure.