Disaster Planning for People Experiencing Homelessness
- Integrating Homeless Service Providers and Clients in Disaster Preparedness, Response, and Recovery, 2014, This issue brief outlines strategies in place in two Florida counties to meet the disaster needs of people experiencing homelessness. Findings from focus groups were used to assess homeless individual and service provider knowledge base and perception of these strategies. Recommendations are offered for other communities working towards more inclusive planning.
- Surviving Severe Weather: Tools to Promote Emergency Preparedness for People Experiencing Homelessness, 2013, This series of weather-specific informational flyers was developed specifically for people experiencing homelessness using input from people who are formerly and currently homeless. Information for planning a severe weather dialogue and learning session is included.
- Directory of Disaster Response and Recovery Resources, June 2009, Canavan Associates. The goals of the Directory are to: 1.) Provide Continuums of Care (CoC) a guide to the development of disaster/emergency preparedness. 2.) Help CoCs better understand the disaster/emergency response and recovery process. 3.) Enhance CoC capacity to respond and recover from disasters/emergencies by providing an inventory of potential resources addressing both organizational and individual needs. 4.) Encourage coordination and collaboration between CoCs and disaster/emergency organizations.
- Disaster Planning For People Experiencing Homelessness, March 2009, Federal reports and lessons learned from a number of communities tell us that we are not prepared to meet the disaster-related needs of people who are homeless. This publication provides an overview of important issues to consider when planning for the needs of homeless people during disasters. Practical guidance for each issue area is offered for local officials, emergency planners, homeless service providers and others who are involved in the disaster planning process. The final part of the document offers guidance to help Health Care for the Homeless providers and others involved in homeless service provision facilitate conversations with emergency planners in their communities.
- Healing Hands | August 2004 |Disaster Planning Requires Time, Resources, Collaboration
- No One Left Behind: Disaster Planning for People Experiencing Homelessness, 2010, Workshop materials from the 2010 National Health Care for the Homeless Conference and Policy Symposium
- Ready for Anything: A Disaster Planning Manual for Runaway and Homeless Youth Programs, developed for the Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. While this manual was developed with children and youth in mind, the information and templates are useful for shelters serving single adults as well.
Health Care Delivery During a Disaster
- Health Centers: Assistance Before, During, and After Emergencies and Disasters, 2013, prepared by the National Association of Community Health Centers
- Disaster Response for Homeless Individuals and Families: A Trauma-Informed Approach, prepared by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
- Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health | The Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health is a portal that provides users access to a variety of reports, fact sheets, guidelines, tools, etc. regarding disaster medicine and public health.
- A Mobile Medical Care Approach Targeting Underserved Populations In Post-Hurricane Katrina Mississippi |David M. Krol; Michael Redlener; Alan Shapiro; Ania Wajnberg, Journal of Health Care for Poor and Underserved. 2007. 18(2): 331-340.
- Joint Commission EM Standards Review for Health Centers – Webinar offering an overview on the 2010 Ambulatory Care Standards for Emergency Management, 75 minutes
- Medical Reserve Corps – The mission of the MRC is to engage volunteers to strengthen public health, emergency response and community resiliency.
Training & Videos
Policies & Procedures
- Direct Relief | Direct Relief can work with healthcare professionals and organizations on the ground and equip them with the essential medical supplies and equipment that they need to help people recover from a disaster.
- AmeriCares | AmeriCares delivers medicines, medical supplies and humanitarian aid to a trusted network of clinics, hospitals and health care providers.
- CDC Clinician Registry for Terrorism and Emergency Response | Updates and Training Opportunities
- Emergency Management Planning, National Association of Community Health Centers
- National Resource Center on Advancing Emergency Preparedness for Culturally Diverse Communities | This site, produced jointly by Drexel University School of Public Health’s Center for Health Equality and The Office of Minority Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers a comprehensive library of information related to emergency preparedness for culturally diverse communities.
- Pandemic Influenza Guidance for Homeless Shelters & Homeless Service Providers, 2009.
- Preparedness Resources for Healthcare Facilities | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these resources are intended for individuals at healthcare facilities tasked with ensuring that their facility is as prepared as possible for an emergency.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Disaster Technical Assistance Center | SAMHSA resources to prepare States, Territories, and local entities to deliver an effective behavioral health response after disasters.