Medical Respite Tool Kit
The purpose of this tool kit is to provide information and tools to help organizations and advocates plan, develop, and sustain medical respite programs. This tool kit organizes existing resources developed by the National Health Care for the Homeless Council and other medical respite providers while incorporating new and practical tools.
Introduction and Overview of Medical Respite Care
- Defining Characteristics of Medical Respite Care
- Medical Respite Care: An Integral Part of the Homeless Care Continuum
- Medical Respite Brochure
- Medical Respite video. View it on the RCPN page or on YouTube.
Medical Respite Webinars
- Medical Respite Care Programs & the Triple Aim Framework for Health | June 2019
- Assessing the Needs of Women in Medical Respite | March 2019
- Somewhere to Heal: An Introduction to Medical Respite Care | March 2018
- Financing Medical Respite Care: A Practical Discussion to Ensure Sustainability | June 2017
- Hospital Community Benefit Funding: Potential Resources to Meet the Needs of Homeless Populations | July 2016
- Managed Care and Homeless Populations: Linking the HCH Community and MCO Partners | April 2016
- Proposed Minimum Standards for Medical Respite Programs | September 2014
- Medical Respite Start Ups: Lessons Learned and Recommendations | August 2014
- Infection Control Policies and Practices for Medical Respite Programs | January 2012
- Medical Respite Care: Filling a Void in Homeless Health Care Services | February 2011
Development & Finance
Planning a Medical Respite Program
- Medical Respite Care Programs & the IHI Triple Aim Framework (Policy Brief) | April 2019
- Medical Respite Care: Financing Approaches (Policy Brief) | June 2017
- Medical Respite Services for Homeless People: Practical Planning
- Medical Respite Program Development Workbook
- Standards for Medical Respite Companion & Organizational Self-Assessment
Making the Case for Medical Respite
- Medical Respite Care: Reducing Costs and Improving Care | April 2011
This new policy brief updates an older cost avoidance paper and adds information about the role of medical respite programs during health reform.
- Medical Respite Research
Annotated bibliography of published academic articles on medical respite care.
- An Evaluation of the Respite Pilot Initiative: Final Report | March 2006. Final report describing the results of a five year pilot program of 10 medical respite programs.
- John’s Monthly Hospital Visits
Chart illustrating hospital utilization of 9 Cincinnati hospital’s by one patient before and after receiving medical respite care.
- Frequent Users of Public Services: Ending the institutional circuit – Changing systems to change lives | December 2009. Prepared by the Corporation for Supportive Housing, this report describes over a dozen programs, including medical respite programs that reduced public service utilization by frequent users of public services.
- Media Archive
Collection of news articles focused on medical respite care.
Collaborating with Hospitals
- FAQs: Contracting with Hospitals
- Medical Respite Programs for Homeless Persons: Survey on Relationships with Hospitals | 2008
Results from the Respite Research Task Force survey of 24 medical respite programs.
- Sample Memorandum of Understanding
- Sample Hospital Contract
- Engaging Hospital Support for Respite Programs PowerPoint
- HIPAA Business Associate Contracts (explanation and sample contracts)
Financing Medical Respite Care
- Medicaid Funding for Medical Respite
PowerPoint presentation by David Buchanan, MD at 2005 Medical Respite Pre-conference Institute.
- HRSA Grant opportunities
- HUD Grant opportunities
- Medicaid Reimbursement for Medical Respite Services | September 2011
This analysis describes medical respite care as an innovative model of care that reduces hospitalizations, and details state policy options for receiving federal Medicaid funding to support this service.
- Hospital Community Benefit Obligations: Implications for Health Centers and Communities | December 2012, This webcast hosted by the Clinical Directors Network provides an overview of hospital community benefit obligations. Nonprofit hospitals are obligated to invest in the communities they serve beyond the provision of direct medical services. The Affordable Care Act calls for strengthening and clarifying this obligation.
- Medical Respite Program Policies and Sample Tools
- Webinar: Infection Control Policies and Practices for Medical Respite Programs | January 26, 2012
- Care Transitions for People Experiencing Homelessness | December 2012
- Medical Respite Care for People without Stable Housing. Homeless Health Care Case Report: Sharing Practice-Based Experience. Volume 2, Number 3 | March 2007
- Clinical Recommendations for the Medical Respite Setting | November 2011