Healing Hands Newsletters
- Hepatitis C Update (2013)
- The Specter of Liver Disease (2008)
- Chronic Hepatitis C: Silent Intruder, Insidious Threat (1999)
Decompensated Chronic Liver Disease with Comorbid Treatable Aplastic Anemia in a Homeless Adult Male (2008) | HCH Clinicians’ Network – This case report presents a cascade of life-threatening complications arising from a chronic hepatitis C infection in a homeless man, originally contracted from contaminated tattoo needles. The patient’s chronic liver disease progressed to cirrhosis and comorbid anemia secondary to hypersplenism, chronic GI blood loss, chronic liver disease, folate deficiency, and human parvovirus B19 infection resulting in aplastic anemia.
Treatment and Other Resources
- Hepatitis C Handbook (2014) | Download SAMHSA’s easy to understand guide that uses plain language and a simple cartoon style to explain what hepatitis C is, how to avoid it, what is involved with screening, and treatment options.
- Addressing Viral Hepatitis in People With Substance Use Disorders (2011) | Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration – Assists behavioral health professionals who treat people with substance abuse problems in understanding the implications of a diagnosis of hepatitis. Discusses screening, diagnosis, and referrals and explains how to evaluate a program’s hepatitis practices.
- The Health Care of Homeless Persons: A Manual of Communicable Diseases & Common Problems in Shelters & On the Streets (2004) – This 384-page manual describes serious health problems that commonly afflict homeless persons and discusses appropriate responses and treatment. Included are chapters on hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.