Job Title: Physician – Primary Care
Reports To: Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised: Oct 2017
Care for the Homeless (CFH) is a growing not-for-profit health care and social service agency that serves the homeless population of New York City. CFH provides medical and behavioral health services at thirty shelters, soup kitchens, and drop-in centers throughout NYC, operates Susan’s Place, a homeless women’s residence as well as several Article 28 medical clinics located throughout the city.
SUMMARY: Responsible for providing care and treatment to the center’s patients.
This employee will work as part of the PCMH team with the following essential duties and responsibilities:
Essential Duties and responsibilities:
- Participates as a member of committees, including peer review, as requested by the CMO
- Performs history and physical assessments as indicated by his/her specialty area
- Provides services in accordance with generally acceptable standards of medical practice
- Develops a plan of treatment/care for the patient that also includes education and follow-up visits
- Makes appropriate professional referrals, as indicated by the needs of the patient
- Communicates with other health care providers related to diagnosis, treatment and plan for the patient; professional communication is documented in the medical record
- Maintains current and complete documentation in the medical record that reflects the care and services provided to the patient
- Chart completion is consistent with CFH P/P
- Adheres to the center’s established policies and procedures
- Participates as a member of the medical staff and adheres to the medical staff bylaws
- Provides supervision and consultation to staff nurse practitioners/physician assistants as requested by the CMO
- Participates in the on-call and emergency coverage schedule, as directed by the CMO
- Participates in all managed care plans as requested by CFH
- Represents CFH positively in all professional and patient interactions
- Oversees care coordination with medical case management and health education as part of the PCMH team
- Current license as a physician in New York State
- Commitment to serving the underprivileged
- Meets all the requirements for appointment/reappointment as a member of the medical staff
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Care for the Homeless provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Care for the Homeless complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Care for the Homeless expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Care for the Home less’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Care for the Homeless advocates for policies to ameliorate, prevent and end homelessness. We occasionally circulate policy information to employees and require that staff review it. While we don’t require it, we encourage every employee to become involved in supporting and advocating for our agency’s policy agenda and related activities.
To apply for this position please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.