The Physician performs a variety of duties to provide quality patient care to the sick or injured or others requiring healthcare services. The scope of services includes comprehensive primary care for homeless men, women, and children within a multi-disciplinary care team. Accountable to the Healthcare for the Homeless – Houston (HHH) Chief Medical Officer/Medical Director.
- Board certification in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine
- At least 3 years of ambulatory care experience
- At least 1 years of experience working with underserved populations
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs pertinent history and physical exams of patients including biopsychosocial assessment and treatment
- Administers treatment within an integrated multidisciplinary clinic setting serving the homeless population
- Performs and evaluates diagnostic procedures and laboratory tests within the physician’s scope of practice
- Follows and helps develop protocols to manage specific patient problems/illnesses/care
- Provides constructive input on improving the delivery of services to the HHH Medical Director
- Maintains up to date medical record using an electronic medical record, writes accurate notes and orders
- Is sensitive in working with the homeless/medically underserved population
- Is self-directed with good organizational skills
- Communicates well within health care team and helps provide integrated primary care including behavioral health
- Demonstrates leadership skills and serves as a role model
- Assists with the curriculum for students and residents
- May supervise the work of nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants, RNs, medical students and family medicine residents
- Adheres to agency policies and procedures
- Performs other tasks or special assignments as necessary to maintain proper operation and patient care
- Supports the agency Mission and Standards of Excellence
Administrative Duties (time will be allotted according to duties)
- Assists with the design and implementation of clinical portions of Patient Centered Medical Homes accreditation
- Acts as a physician resource for off-site programs (programs connected with housing projects)
- Updates clinical policies and onboarding materials for new medical staff
The Physician provides patient care to homeless men, women, and children in primary care clinics located in local homeless shelters, and provides medical outreach services to homeless individuals living on the streets, in encampments, and in shelters/missions. Daily work hours may vary with minimal evening or weekend hours.
- Not normally required to exert physical effort.
- Frequently handles/works with biohazards or risks for potential job-related injury, such as those found in an ordinary laboratory or clinic environment.
How to Apply
For more information, contact CEO Frances E. Isbell, M.A., at firstname.lastname@example.org.