Department: Policy and Planning Department
Schedule: Full Time
Hours: 8:30am – 5pm
Under the supervision of the Director of Communications, the Donor Engagement Specialist is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementation of the individual giving program to meet the organizations’ annual fundraising goal and to build Unity’s donor base. The Donor Engagement Specialist is responsible for increasing donor stewardship, with an emphasis on individual gifts, work place giving campaigns and foundation based general operating support.
The Donor Engagement Specialist works with the Director for Communications on the development of the individual giving and private grants portion of the Annual Fundraising Plan. In addition, the Donor Engagement Specialist will work with leadership staff and/or key board members to implement key elements of Unity’s Annual fundraising plan.
- Manage portfolio of prospective and current donors.
- Solicit Gifts on behalf of the organization.
- Manage relationships with donors and donor prospects.
Manage Individual Donor Program
- Develops individual donor program plan and budget with measurable outcomes for activities. This includes metrics for qualifying, cultivating and soliciting contributions.
- Develops case statement for Unity’s individual donor program.
- Maintains constituent relationship management (CRM) tracking system including giving records, biographical and contact information.
- Tracks and reports on progress of the individual donor program throughout the year.
- Develops cultivation strategies to support stewardship across all gift levels; including research and lead small fundraising and/or donor cultivation events.
- Participates in donor cultivation and solicitation activities in support of small donor development including Unity sponsored events and networking opportunities.
- Maintains accountability for individual giving expenses including submitting expense reimbursements, invoices, and adhering to department budget.
- Explores and make recommendations on new opportunities to increase revenue including but not limited to donor advised funds, matching gifts programs, online crowdfunding and planned giving opportunities.
Solicit gifts on Behalf of the Organization
- Solicits individual gifts from prospective donors by mail, phone, in person or proposal.
- Manages Unity’s workplace giving program including internal and external campaigns (United Way, Combined Federal Campaign, and DC One Fund); including off-site presentations during campaign season.
- Solicits foundations for general operating support including preparing proposals, reports, and correspondence to support priorities.
Manage Relationships with Donors and Prospects
- Increases both the quantity and quality of donor relationships through multiple methods (i.e., phone calls, face to face meetings, etc.).
- Produces materials and tools in coordination to with Communications Department regularly with constituents including appeals, newsletters, thank you letters.
- Develops ideas and implement stewardship steps to creatively recognize donors.
- Ensures donors receive acknowledgement in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, nonprofit management, marketing, social sciences or related field.
- Relevant experience may substitute for a degree on a year for year basis.
- At least 3 years of professional experience with local community organizations or non-profits.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of effective gift fundraising technique and practices.
- Interpersonal and professional skills conducive to effective relationships with donors.
- Experience with gift solicitation.
- Works with an ethnically and culturally diverse population.
- Prioritizes and manages multiple projects, resolve problems and makes decisions.
- Excellent presentation public speaking, verbal communication skills; excellent writing skills.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills with internal and external partners.
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines and fundraising goals.
- Ability to travel and availability to perform job-related duties during weekend and evening hours.
Project Management experience a plus.
To apply please visit the listing at Unity Health Care.