HCH2019 Consumer Subsidies
Through a Cooperative Agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the National Health Care for the Homeless Council (Council) will provide a limited number of Consumer Conference Subsidies to support consumer participation in the 2019 National Health for the Homeless Conference & Policy Symposium (Conference) occurring Wednesday, May 22, to Saturday, May 25, in Washington, D.C.
- Consumers are defined as people who have experienced homelessness and have received services from the HCH grantee. The attendee should be one of the following:
- Members of HCH grantees’ Board of Directors, or
- Members of Consumer Advisory Boards of HCH grantees, or
- Employees of HCH grantee.
- HCH Grantees, for this purpose, are agencies that receive HCH grants from HRSA under Section 330(h) of the Public Health Service Act, or their subcontractors or sub-grantees (as listed in our HCH Grantee Directory).
This subsidy is for one consumer to attend the conference. The subsidy includes the following:
- Conference registration fees: $670, which includes the registration fee for a Learning Lab on Saturday, May 25
- Hotel costs for three nights: $843 (Wednesday, May 22-Friday, May 24)
- Incidentals such as pay-per-view TV, room service, or telephone calls from the room will not be available without a separate payment guarantee (a credit card provided) at check-in.
- Per Diem: $211
- The Per Diem allowance includes meals on travel days and meals not provided at the Conference, plus daily incidentals.
- Transportation: $200 is available for reimbursement of transportation-related costs.
- Organizational Representatives are responsible for arranging and paying for all ground or air transportation to and from the conference, including airfare, bus or train fare, and taxis or shuttles.
- Reimbursement for transportation-related costs will be made after the Conference and must be received by Friday, June 7, 2019. Organizations must submit a reimbursement request in writing with appropriate documentation.
- No reimbursements submitted after Friday, June 7, 2019. will be accepted.
- Travel planning should provide for arrival at the hotel in Washington, D.C., in time for the NCAB Orientation Meeting at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, May 22, 2019, and leaving after the Learning Labs end at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 25, 2019.
A large national conference in an unfamiliar setting is potentially overwhelming for any conference participant. To help assure a positive experience for all consumers, NCAB has developed a mentoring program pairing experienced NCAB leaders with new consumer attendees to provide orientation and on-going support for each new consumer, both before and during the Conference. A member of NCAB leadership will be contacting all first-time attendees prior to the Conference regarding mentorship, so please ensure consumer contact information is as reliable as possible. If you have attended previously but would still like a mentor, please contact Katherine Cavanaugh, Consumer Advocate, at email@example.com or (443) 703 – 1320. All NCAB steering committee members, Regional Representatives, and the staff of the Council will be available to assist during the Conference, as well.
Priority for selection will be in the following order:
- Consumer who is presenting at the 2019 Conference;
- Consumer who has not previously attended a NHCHC National Conference;
- Consumer who is nominated by a Consumer Advisory Board or Board of Directors;
- Consumer who is a member of a Consumer Advisory Board or Board of Directors;
- Consumer who is currently employed at a HCH Grantee
Consideration will be made to ensure that each organization that submits an application is able to bring one of their consumers before other organizations are given multiple subsidies.
Application & Reimbursement Schedule
Applications are now closed.
Decisions regarding consumer Conference subsidy applications will be communicated to applicants and consumers via email by Friday, March 22, 2019.
If you have any questions please contact Katherine Cavanaugh, Consumer Advocate, via email or phone at (443) 703-1320.