Disaster Planning for People Experiencing Homelessness
- Directory of Disaster Response and Recovery Resources, June 2009, Canavan Associates. The goals of the Directory are to: 1.) Provide Continuums of Care (CoC) a guide to the development of disaster/emergency preparedness. 2.) Help CoCs better understand the disaster/emergency response and recovery process. 3.) Enhance CoC capacity to respond and recover from disasters/emergencies by providing an inventory of potential resources addressing both organizational and individual needs. 4.) Encourage coordination and collaboration between CoCs and disaster/emergency organizations.
- Disaster Planning For People Experiencing Homelessness, March 2009. Federal reports and lessons learned from a number of communities tell us that we are not prepared to meet the disaster-related needs of people who are homeless. This publication provides an overview of important issues to consider when planning for the needs of homeless people during disasters. Practical guidance for each issue area is offered for local officials, emergency planners, homeless service providers and others who are involved in the disaster planning process. The final part of the document offers guidance to help Health Care for the Homeless providers and others involved in homeless service provision facilitate conversations with emergency planners in their communities.
- Healing Hands | August 2004 |Disaster Planning Requires Time, Resources, Collaboration
- No One Left Behind: Disaster Planning for People Experiencing Homelessness (2010) – Workshop materials from the 2010 National Health Care for the Homeless Conference and Policy Symposium
Health Care Delivery During a Disaster
- Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health | The Resource Guide for Disaster Medicine and Public Health is a portal that provides users access to a variety of reports, fact sheets, guidelines, tools, etc. regarding disaster medicine and public health.
- A Mobile Medical Care Approach Targeting Underserved Populations In Post-Hurricane Katrina Mississippi |David M. Krol; Michael Redlener; Alan Shapiro; Ania Wajnberg, Journal of Health Care for Poor and Underserved. 2007. 18(2): 331-340.
- Joint Commission EM Standards Review for Health Centers – Webinar offering an overview on the 2010 Ambulatory Care Standards for Emergency Management, 75 minutes
- Medical Reserve Corps – The mission of the MRC is to engage volunteers to strengthen public health, emergency response and community resiliency.
- Collaborating with community health centers for preparedness | Prepared by the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, this report offers examples of various models of collaboration related to discrete aspects of emergency response.
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (National VOAD) | Members of National VOAD form a coalition of nonprofit organizations that respond to disasters as part of their overall mission.
- Tales from the Front: Tips for Effective Health Center Integration into Local and State Disaster Planning (2010) – This National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) webinar included tips, resources, and lessons learned from successful collaborations that integrated health centers into the local and state emergency response system. Links to an assessment tool and sample memorandum of understanding (MOU) are included.
- Tool Kit: Meeting the Needs of Vulnerable Populations in Emergency Response – This tool kit developed by Public Health – Seattle & King County provides tools to help community-based organizations become better organized in order to serve vulnerable populations, including people experiencing homelessness, during emergencies.
Training & Videos
- Ethical Issues in Disaster Response (2007) – This half-hour, online training module addresses ethical issues in disaster response such as cultural competence and ethical conflicts which arise when there is an inequality of power and/or control. Enrollment in the module is free of charge and provides continuing education credits.
- One Size Doesn’t Fit All: Emergency Management for Healthcare for the Homeless Programs (2008) | Mollie Melbourne | National Association of Community Health Centers | during the National Health Care for the Homeless Conference and Policy Symposium, Phoenix, Arizona
- Alternative Marketing & Messaging to Prepare Vulnerable Populations (2008) | Sponsored by Centers For Disease Control And Prevention (CDC), prepared by Collaborating Agencies Responding To Disaster (CARD) and SUNY Albany Center for Public Health. Continuing Education Units are available.
Policies & Procedures
- Health center emergency management program expectations (2007) | Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Policy Information Notice.
- Health care at the crossroads: Strategies for creating and sustaining community-wide emergency preparedness systems, 2003. Prepared by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, the purpose of this report is to frame the issues that must be addressed in developing community-wide preparedness and to delineate federal and state responsibilities for eliminating barriers and for facilitating and sustaining—through leadership, funding and other resource deployment—community-based emergency preparedness across the United States.
- Hospital Evacuation Decision Guide (2010) – This guide is designed to provide hospital evacuation decision teams with organized and systematic guidance on how to consider the many factors that bear on the decision to order an evacuation, and assist decision teams in identifying some of the special situations, often overlooked, that may exist in their facility or geographic area that could affect the decision to evacuate.
- Federal Disaster Assistance: FEMA Guidance for HRSA Community-Based Service Delivery Grantees – A compilation of essential information on HRSA grant programs from public websites for use by HRSA Bureaus and Offices as they assist their grantees following a disaster.
- CDC Clinician Registry for Terrorism and Emergency Response | Updates and Training Opportunities
- Emergency Management Planning, National Association of Community Health Centers
- National Resource Center on Advancing Emergency Preparedness for Culturally Diverse Communities | This site, produced jointly by Drexel University School of Public Health’s Center for Health Equality and The Office of Minority Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers a comprehensive library of information related to emergency preparedness for culturally diverse communities.
- Pandemic Influenza Guidance for Homeless Shelters & Homeless Service Providers (2009)
- Preparedness Resources for Healthcare Facilities | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these resources are intended for individuals at healthcare facilities tasked with ensuring that their facility is as prepared as possible for an emergency.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Disaster Technical Assistance Center | SAMHSA resources to prepare States, Territories, and local entities to deliver an effective behavioral health response after disasters.