- Trauma-Informed Organizational Toolkit (2009) – With support from the Daniels Fund, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, the Homelessness Resource Center, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the National Center on Family Homelessness (NCFH) has created the Trauma-Informed Organizational Toolkit to provide programs with a roadmap for becoming trauma-informed. The Toolkit offers homeless service providers with concrete guidelines for how to modify their practices and policies to ensure that they are responding appropriately to the needs of families who have experienced traumatic stress.
- Understanding Traumatic Stress in Children (2006) | National Center on Family Homelessness
- Facts on Trauma & Homeless Children (2005) | National Child Traumatic Stress Network, Homelessness & Extreme Poverty Working Group
- Identifying & Responding to Domestic Violence Among Poor and Homeless Women (2000) | Developed by Sharon Melnick & Ellen Bassuk | A collaboration of the Better Homes Fund and the National Health Care for the Homeless Council
Healing Hands Newsletters
- Trauma Informed Care (2010)
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Emerging Tools for Assessment and Care (2008)
- The Challenges of Supervision in HCH: Helping Staff Succeed (2006) – See “Secondary Trauma Hurts Clinicians, Patients”
- Homelessness & Family Trauma: The Case for Early Intervention (2003)
- Trauma & Homelessness (1999)
- Zlotnick C, Tam T, Bradley K. Impact of Adulthood Trauma on Homeless Mothers. Community Mental Health Journal, 43(1):13-32, 2007.
- Benda BB. Survival Analyses of Social Support & Trauma Among Homeless Male & Female Veterans Who Abuse Substances. Am J Orthopsychiatry, 76(1):70-9, 2006.
- Harpaz-Rotem I, Rosenheck RA, Desai R. The Mental Health of Children Exposed to Maternal Mental Illness & Homelessness. Community Mental Health Journal. 42(5):437-448, 2006.
- SAMHSA Homeless Families Coordinating Center. Trauma Interventions for Homeless Families—Innovative Features and Common Themes. Washington, DC: Vanderbilt University Center for Evaluation and Program Improvement, 2005.
- Barber CC, Fonagy P, Fultz J, Simulinas M, Yates M. Homeless Near a Thousand Homes: Outcomes of Homeless Youth in a Crisis Shelter. Am J Orthopsychiatry, 75(3):347-55, 2005.
- Rayburn N, Wenzel SL, Elliott MN, Hambarsoomian K, Marshall GN, Tucker JS. Trauma, Depression, Coping & Mental Health Service Seeking among Impoverished Women. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 73(4):667-677, 2005.
- Understanding Bodily Responses to Trauma- Given the frequency of exposure to overwhelmingly stressful events, it is not surprising that many people who are homeless develop complex post-trauma responses. This brief article includes a list of helpful resources.
- Signs and Symptoms of Secondary Traumatic Stress- Self-assessment tool for caregivers of trauma victims
- Trauma Among Homeless Youth (2007) | National Child Traumatic Stress Network Culture & Trauma Brief