Government Documents & Key Resources
Government Publications and Key Resources Relevant to Health Reform Implementation for the HCH Community
Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
- State-by-state resources and information
- Application for hardship exemption from individual mandate/shared responsibility (“homeless” a permissable hardship)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Click here for a complete collection of Medicaid federal policy guidance. The following is a small selection of guidance targeted to those issues most relevant to the HCH community:
- Medicaid & CHIP: January Monthly Applications and Eligibility Determinations Report | February 28, 2014
- Medicaid & CHIP: December Monthly Applications and Eligibility Determinations Report | January 22, 2014
- Medicaid & CHIP: November Monthly Applications and Eligibility Determinations Report | December 20, 2013
- Medicaid & CHIP: October Monthly Applications and Eligibility Determinations Report | December 3, 2013
- State Medicaid and CHIP Income Eligibility Standards Effective January 1, 2014
- FAQ on Marketplaces and Income Verification | August 2013
- Apply to be a Certified Application Counselor Organization | July 2013
- HHS Final Rule on Navigators, Non-Navigator Assistance Personnel and Certified Application Counselors | July 2013
- CMS Guidance on Certified Application Counselors | July 2013
- Fact Sheet on Types of Application Assistance | July 2013
- Informational Bulletin: Targeting Medicaid Super-Utilizers to Decrease Costs and Improve Quality | July 2013
- Final Rule on Medicaid & CHIP Eligibility and Enrollment | July 2013
- Information Bulletin: Guidance on Alternative Applications for Health Coverage | June 2013
- Letter to States: Facilitating Medicaid & CHIP Enrollment and Renewal in 2014 | May 2013
- HHS Single, Streamlined Application for Insurance Affordability (Individual) | April 2013
- CMS State Health Official/Medicaid Director letter: Application of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act to Medicaid, MCOs, CHIP and Alternative Benefit (Benchmark) Plans | January 16, 2013
- FAQ on Exchanges, Market Reforms and Medicaid | December 10, 2012
- CMCS Info Bulletin: Coverage and Service Design Opportunities for Individuals with Mental Illness and Substance Use Disorders | December 2, 2012
- CMCS SMD letter: Essential Health Benefits in the Medicaid Program | November 20, 2012
- CMS Final Interim Rule Regarding Eligibility | March 16, 2012
- CMS Letter to State Health Officials and Medicaid Directors | November 16, 2010. This letter provides preliminary guidance to states on the implementation of Section 2703 of the Affordable Care Act, “State Option to Provide Health Homes for Enrollees with Chronic Conditions.”
- CMS Letter to State Health Officials and Medicaid Directors | April 9, 2010. As of April 1, 2010, states can receive their regular federal matching assistance percentage (FMAP) to cover all adults who have incomes less than 133% of the federal poverty level (FPL).
Congressional Budget Office (CBO)
- The Budget and Economic Outlook: 2014 to 2024 (Appendix B: updated health insurance enrollment) | February 4, 2014
- CBO Estimates of the Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Health Insurance Coverage | May 14, 2013
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Health center enrollment assistance training requirements FAQs | August 2013:
- Outreach and enrollment assistance awards to health centers issued July 2013
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Webinar: Affordable Care Act and Chronic Homelessness (series on reducing chronic homelessness) | December 5, 2013 (requires sign in to access)
- Getting Ready for Health Insurance Marketplace: Housing and Homeless Services Organizations Toolkit
- National and State Estimates of the Prevalence of Behavioral Health Conditions
Among the Uninsured
- Health Insurance Enrollment: Resources for States
Key Resources for Further Information
(note select documents have been put in the Library)
- The Official HHS website dedicated to consumer information about the ACA.
- The CMS Medicaid page contains fact sheets, FAQs, webinars, federal guidance, rules, letters to Medicaid directors, and much more.
- The SAMHSA page is dedicated to enrollment resources for states.
- This page is a state-by-state prevalence of mental health and substance use disorders newly eligible for insurance.
- Enroll America has a robust site dedicated to enrollment best practices, webinars, state-by-state information, and a wide range of publications and materials.
- The NACHC health reform toolkit is dedicated to Medicaid expansion.
- The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) page contains state-by-state links to implementation entities, reports, and research.
- The Kaiser Family Foundation health reform page contains fact sheets, research and analysis, polling trends, and connections to state-by-state level information.
- The National Association of State Health Policy State Refor(u)m is an online network for health reform implementation across a wide spectrum of issues important to states.
- Families USA Medicaid Expansion Center contains briefings, guides, toolkits, and other resources.
- AMICUS Brief defends the human right to health care.
- Council Letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Sebelius opposing a partial expansion of Medicaid | November 2012
- COUNCIL RESPONDS TO FEDERAL MEDICAID ENROLLMENT REGULATIONS: Draft regulations recently issued by CMS outline new approaches to Medicaid eligibility, enrollment, and re-determination. The National HCH Council and other endorsing organizations’ response.